Email your ad files to TMEA Advertising & Exhibits Manager
If you provide a link to download your file, the file link must be available throughout the production period (which ends at the publication date)
Repeated advertising: To rerun an ad file previously run in Southwestern Musician, do not resend the file. Specify the magazine issue from which the ad should be rerun and provide the headline to allow our confirmation.
Southwestern Musician and our Convention Program are 8.5″ x 11″ and are perfect bound.
Submit a Press Quality PDF with these specifications:
- Make the document size the exact size of the ad.
- Include bleed only for Full Page with Bleed ads.
- Do not include non-printing marks.
- Use the Press Quality setting (or Illustrator Default) when creating the file.
- Make sure that your continuous-tone bitmaps do not get downsampled below 300 dpi or your monochrome bitmaps below 1,200 dpi.
- Make sure all fonts embed correctly.
Ad File Size
Make your document size equal to the ad space you are reserving instead of an oversize sheet with crop marks (e.g., if you’re reserving a 1/2-page horizontal ad space, create a document size of 7.625 × 4.875 inches). Check the Ad Sizes page for guidance on each ad size.
If your full-page ad bleeds to the edge of the printed magazine, extend all background elements 0.125″ beyond the document edge on all sides that bleed. See more information below on creating full page ads.
Ad Color Specifications
- Black only: All elements, including bitmaps, must be black & white or grayscale.
- Black plus one spot color: Define the spot color using PMS numbers. All elements must be shades of black or shades of the spot color. Bitmaps must be monochrome (1-bit), grayscale, or duotone. Include the PMS value in the body of the email that includes the file.
- 4-color process: Convert any spot colors to CMYK. Bitmaps must be monochrome (1-bit), grayscale, or CMYK. RGB and paletted graphics will not separate correctly and must be converted to the appropriate color depth.
Preferred dpi for continuous-tone bitmaps is 300 dpi at the size they will be when printed. Monochrome (1-bit) bitmaps should be 1,200 dpi at the size they will be when printed.
Full Page Ads: Special Instructions
Full Page Without Bleed: If the Full Page ad is not designed to bleed to the edge of the magazine (when printed it will have a border of white space around), make the document size 7.5″×10″. Do not extend any text or graphics beyond the 7.5″×10″ area. Create the PDF based on these instructions.
Full Page With Bleed: For art to extend to the edge of the printed page, the art must extend 0.125″ on each side beyond the 8.5″×11″ area. For example, for a black background to extend to the edge, the black frame must equal 8.75″ × 11.25″ (extending 0.125″ beyond each side of the the 8.5″×11″ page size). That additional 0.125″ on each side must be included in the PDF (more information is included in the instructions on creating a Press Quality PDF). If the ad is set up as described here, we prefer that you do not include any crop marks (or other file info).
Text and Art Placement: For a Full Page Bleed ad, constrain all text and graphic elements that should be visible to a centered 7.5″×10.5″ area. If these elements extend beyond those dimensions, they could be obscured based on ad page placement in the magazine and the magazine size.