Texas Music Scholars
Nominations will open March 2021.
The Texas Music Scholar Award designates students in high school music programs who exemplify attributes of meritorious performance in the areas of scholarship, musicianship, and citizenship.
Designation is attained by TMEA Active Member recommendation of students in grades 9-12 who have met the following criteria during the current school year:
- Is a viable member of the school’s parent musical organization for the entire school year.
- Maintains in all cumulative coursework an overall “A” average as defined by the local school district for the current school year.
- Maintains academic eligibility for the entire school year.
- Participates in all scheduled events of the parent organization.
- Attends, as an audience member, two director-approved concert events of high school, collegiate or professional level during a school year.
- Has auditioned, been selected, and participated as required in a TMEA or ATSSB organization (band, orchestra, or choir).
- Performs a UIL Prescribed Music List Class 1 solo for a competition or public performance.
- Consistently exhibits behavior which brings honor to the parent organization, school and community.
These criteria may be met through participation singularly or in any combination of band, orchestra, or vocal organizations. The distinction may be achieved each school year.
The school year is defined as the beginning of the year through the next-to-the-last official grade reporting period of the local school district for the purposes of calculating grade averages and determining eligibility.
To recommend a student for this award, fill out the online form, print the required Certification Form and send it to the TMEA office with the appropriate signatures prior to the May 1 deadline (postmarked or emailed/faxed by May 1). Late applications will not be accepted.
Texas Music Scholars receive a certificate and patch from the Texas Music Educators Association signed by the Executive Director. You will receive a press release for your use.
Please note that this is an award, not a scholarship or other offer of money.