Since 1920, TMEA has worked to ensure excellence in music education for all Texas students. Over 13,000 school music educators are TMEA members belonging to one of five TMEA Divisions: Band, Orchestra, Vocal, Elementary and College. A Vice-President is elected in statewide elections to guide the activities of each division.
On behalf of its members and Texas students, TMEA carefully monitors the actions of all state decision-making bodies on issues affecting fine arts instruction in Texas. In addition to many member benefits, TMEA offers professional development opportunities for its members with Region workshops and especially with its annual Clinic/Convention. TMEA supports the future of music education by offering scholarships to music education majors and by sponsoring the Texas Future Music Educators, an organization through which high school students interested in careers in music education learn more about what to expect in their college education and future careers.
“It All Begins With Music” is based on a theme from Sailing the Sky, the work TMEA commissioned Frank Ticheli to write in honor of our association’s centennial. Ticheli gave this work as a gift to TMEA and its members. Download PDFs of the anthem, arranged for voice, winds, and strings.
- To provide professional growth opportunities
- To encourage interaction among music education professionals
- To foster public support for music in schools
- To offer quality musical experiences for students
- To cultivate universal appreciation and lifetime involvement in music
- To develop and maintain productive working relationships with other professional organizations