Invited Choir Ensembles
Below are the requirements and application for our annual clinic/convention concert choir ensembles. Applications and recordings must be submitted online by 11:59 pm (CDT), May 1 for College/University, and 11:59 pm (CDT), June 1 for Middle School/High School.
Selected ensembles will be included on the Convention Concert Ensembles page.
- The director must be an Active member of TMEA.
- The ensemble must represent a school located in the State of Texas.
- The director must have taught the ensemble a minimum of three years and must submit examples from two or three separate academic years to be chosen from 2018-2019, 2019-20, 2020-21, or 2021-22.
- A choir will not be eligible if there is a change of directors between the time of entry and the time of the TMEA performance. The director must notify the State Vocal Chair if a change occurs.
- A campus (including all ensemble types) will not be eligible to apply for the following three years after their performance at the TMEA convention.
- Note: Choirs that performed for the 2021 Virtual Convention can apply for TMEA 2023.
- Applications and recordings must be submitted online by 11:59 pm (CDT), May 1 for College/University, and 11:59 pm (CDT), June 1 for Middle School/High School.
- Uploading recordings will take time. Start the upload process before 9 p.m. on your deadine date listed above.
- The printed application must include the signature of the head director with the permission of the school principal.
- The following ensembles are eligible for consideration:
- Mixed Choir
- Treble Choir
- Tenor-Bass Choir
- Chamber Choir
- The following school levels are eligible:
- Middle School
- Junior High
- High School Non-Varsity
- High School Varsity
- The following classifications are eligible:
- Total time for all submissions must be no less than 10 or more than 15 minutes in length.
- There should be no verbal identification on the performance tracks.
- Up to 5 recorded tracks will be uploaded to TMEA through the online application process.
- At least one selection must be an A Capella (unaccompanied) performance.
- Submissions must be taken from a live concert recording during the 2018-19, 2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years. At least two years must be represented in the submissions and one recording must be from 2021-2022.
- List of all titles, composers, arrangers, length of tracks and dates of performances will be submitted online.
- Acceptable recording formats for upload:
- m4a (AAC-LC); Sample rate: 48000 Hz; Stereo; Bitrate: 256 kbps, constant
- mp3; Sample rate: 48000 Hz; Stereo; Bitrate: 256 kbps, constant
- WAV (Uncompressed); Sample rate: 44,100 Hz; Stereo; 16-Bit (required)
- Recordings will not be returned.
- The TMEA Vocal Division Vice President will select a Middle School and a High School panel of 3 to 5 members from around the State. (Note: Directors with submitted entries will not be allowed to serve on the adjudication panel).
- There will be two rounds for adjudication.
- Round 1-committee will listen to and rank all submitted recordings. After tabulation of all the judges rankings a cut will be made and those choirs making the cut will advance to round 2.
- Round 2- committee will be given the recording and the submitted program of the semi-finalists choir. Each adjudicator will use the recording and the submitted program to rank the semi-finalist choirs. Once each adjudicator has completed their individual rankings of the semi-finalists, the committee will assemble for open discussion and determine a final ranking to be submitted to the Vocal Division Vice-President.
- The State Vocal Chair will personally notify the college/niveristy choirs invited to perform for the convention by May 15.
- The middle and high schools choirs invited to perform for the convention will be posted in the TMEA exhibit booth on July 21 in conjunction with the Texas Choral Directors Association Summer Convention.
- Online application process will open April 1.
- The online application form must be printed and include the signature of the head director of the program.
- Conductor and choir bios (125 words each) must be included in the application.
- A proposed program for performance for the 2023 TMEA conference must be included in the application.
- Include title, composer, and approximate performance time in minutes and seconds.
- College/University - The total program time may not exceed 50 minutes including entrance, exit, and applause.
- MS/HS - The total program time may not exceed 25 minutes including entrance, exit, and applause.
- A program with a variety of styles from various eras is suggested.
- Only one manuscript (unpublished) piece may be included.
For more information, contact the TMEA State Vocal Chair.