About TMEA Membership
TMEA is organized into 33 geographic Regions across the state, and TMEA members belong to one of five divisions: Band, Orchestra, Vocal, Elementary, College. TMEA members elect Region and state officers who represent them and administer TMEA’s business and programming. TMEA’s staff consists of nine full-time employees who work at the TMEA office in Austin.
Who Can Join
Our membership consists primarily of music educators (active and retired), college music students, and music industry partners; however, anyone who wants to support the work of our association can become a member. Join TMEA.
Why Join TMEA?
While TMEA membership offers tangible benefits, being a member is also your way of supporting music education for all students and helping ensure the future of this profession.
These are just a few of the reasons to join TMEA:
- To access a myriad of member benefits, such as low-cost liability insurance, online and printed pedagogical and advocacy materials, and access to group health insurance.
- To experience the best music educator professional development at our annual convention and Region workshops.
- To sponsor your students in TMEA programs, including our audition process and Texas Future Music Educators.
- To have your voice heard at the state level, where TMEA leaders advocate to the Texas Legislature and State Board of Education on your and your students’ behalf.
- To support music education for all and the future of this profession.
Top Priorities for New Members
- Get Liability Insurance Coverage: TMEA offers members a low-cost option ($30/annually) for this policy that every educator should purchase. When you join, add this coverage!
- Join Our Mentoring Network: TMEA members can enroll in this valuable program and connect with an experienced teacher who is ready to help you succeed!
- Attend Your Region Meetings: Our 33 Regions carry out TMEA’s objectives and programs. Regions meet three times annually, and these meetings are your opportunity to connect with others and stay updated on TMEA opportunities.
- Attend the Clinic/Convention: At TMEA’s annual convention, you’ll learn from master music educators, get inspired by elementary through university ensembles, and stretch your budget in our huge exhibit hall.
- Contact Us: We are here to help you succeed, and while we might not have every answer, we will always help you find it. Don’t hesitate to reach out.
- Facebook and Instagram: Connect with us online, and when you post something great about music education, tag TMEA!