- The director must be an Active member of TMEA.
- The ensemble must represent a school located in the State of Texas.
- The director must have taught the ensemble a minimum of two years and must submit examples from the past two school years (current year and previous year.)
- A choir will not be eligible if there is a change of directors between the time of entry and the time of the TMEA performance. The director must notify the State Vocal Chair if a change occurs.
- A campus (including all ensemble types) will not be eligible to apply for the following three years after their performance at the TMEA convention.
- Applications and recordings must be submitted online by Midnight, May 10. Uploading recordings will take time. Start the application process before 9 pm, May 10th.
- The following ensembles are eligible for consideration:
- Mixed Choir
- Treble Choir
- Tenor-Bass Choir
- Chamber Choir
- The following school levels are eligible:
- Middle School
- Junior High
- High School Non-Varsity
- High School Varsity
- The following classifications are eligible:
- A brief background statement about the choir should be included with the application form.
- The application must include the signature of the head director of the program and the principal of the school or Director of the Music School for college and university applicants.
- All submissions must be no less than 10 and more than 15 minutes in length.
- There should be no verbal identification on the performance tracks.
- Up to 5 recorded tracks will be uploaded to TMEA through the online application process.
- At least one selection must be an A Capella (unaccompanied) performance.
- Submissions must be taken from a live concert recording from the current and immediate previous school years. Both years must be represented in the submissions.
- List all titles, composers, arrangers, length of tracks and dates of performances will be submitted online.
- Acceptable recording formats for upload:
- m4a (AAC-LC); Sample rate: 48000 Hz; Stereo; Bitrate: 256 kbps, constant
- mp3; Sample rate: 48000 Hz; Stereo; Bitrate: 256 kbps, constant
- WAV (Uncompressed); Sample rate: 44,100 Hz; Stereo; 16-Bit (required)
- Recordings will not be returned.
- Applicants will be reviewed by a committee of choir directors who are representative of the categories submitted for consideration.
- This is a blind review process; only the State Vocal Chair knows which schools have submitted.
- The selection committee will hear and review each choir individually. Upon completion the committee will recommend to the State Vocal Chair their suggestions for the invited choirs. The State Vocal Chair will take the committee's suggestions into consideration prior to making the final decision.
- An effort will be made to include choirs from as many classifications and geographic locations as possible.
- Because the selection process is invitational, and not a contest, directors will not receive any verbal or written critique of feedback regarding their submission.
- The State Vocal Chair will personally notify those choirs invited to perform for the convention on or before June 1.
- The TMEA Office will notify by email the directors whose choirs were not selected on or before June 15.
- Online application process will open March 1.
- The online application form must be printed and include the signature of the head director of the program as well as the principal of the school or Director of the Music School for college and university applicants.
- Print and sign the application form, then digitally upload the form to TMEA on the website application.
- Deadline to complete the application process including the signed application and audio upload is Midnight, May 10.
For more information contact: TMEA Vocal Vice-President - firstname.lastname@example.org
(Start a new entry or complete a previous application)