Invited High School Mariachi
Application opens March 1.
Below are the requirements and application for an invited high school mariachi ensemble to perform during the annual clinic/convention. Applications and recordings must be submitted online by May 15. TMEA will not provide any equipment for this performance.
Selected ensembles are included on the Convention Performing Groups page.
- The directors must be active members of TMEA.
- The director cannot be on the TMEA Executive Board.
- An invited mariachi ensemble will not be eligible to apply for three years after their performance at the TMEA convention.
- Applications and recordings must be submitted online by Midnight, May 15. Uploading recordings will take time. Start the application process before 9 p.m., May 15.
- The printed application must include the signature of the director as well as the principal of the school, stating that if selected, the ensemble will participate.
- All recordings must be from live concerts and at least 15 minutes but no longer than 30 minutes of music and should contain examples of different mariachi types of mariachi ensemble music.
- Titles, composers, arrangers, length of tracks, and dates of the performances will be submitted online.
- Up to 5 recorded tracks will be uploaded to TMEA through the online application process.
- Acceptable recording formats for upload:
- Must be MP4 (MPEG-4) container with video codec H.264 and audio codec ACC-LC.
- Video resolution should be no larger than 1080p HD (1920 x 1080 pixels).
- Video bitrate should not exceed 10 Mbps, audio bitrate should not exceed 512 kbps.
- The recordings must be of registered students only. No guest artists can appear on the submitted recording.
- There can be no speaking of any kind on the recording.
- Recordings will not be returned and will be deleted after the review process is complete.
- The TMEA Orchestra Division will select a committee of three of its members who specialize in mariachi to listen to the recordings.
- No directors who are applying for performance will be allowed to serve on the selection committee.
- This is a blind audition process. Only the Selection Committee Chairperson will know which schools have applied.
- All applicants and the invited mariachi ensemble will be notified by June 15.
- Online application process for high school opens March 1.
- The online application form must be printed and include the signatures of the director and the principal of the school.
- The printed application form may be submitted:
- digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org
- or by mail to TMEA, Invited Mariachi Ensemble Application, PO Box 140465, Austin, TX 78714 (Postmarked by May 15.)
- Deadline: Midnight, May 15