Invited High School Mariachi Ensemble
Below are the requirements and application for an invited high school mariachi ensemble to perform during the annual clinic/convention. Applications and recordings must be submitted online by 11:59 pm (CT), June 24. TMEA will not provide any instruments for this performance.
Selected ensembles are included on the Convention Concert Ensembles page.
- The directors must be active members of TMEA.
- The director cannot be on the TMEA Executive Board.
- An invited mariachi ensemble will not be eligible to apply for three years after their last performance at the TMEA convention.
- Applications and recordings must be submitted online by 11:59 pm (CT), June 24.
Note: Uploading recordings will take time. Start the application process before 9 p.m., June 24.
- The printed application must include the signature of the director with the permission of the school principal.
- A single video with up to 5 selections will be uploaded to TMEA through the online application process. All video recordings must be from live concerts during the academic school year preceding the June 24 deadline.The video must be at least 15 minutes but no longer than 30 minutes of music and should contain examples of different mariachi types of mariachi ensemble music.Titles, composers, arrangers, and dates of the performances will be submitted online.
- Acceptable recording formats for upload:
- Must be MP4 (MPEG-4) container with video codec H.264 and audio codec ACC-LC.
- Video resolution should be no larger than 1080p HD (1920 x 1080 pixels).
- Video bitrate should not exceed 10 Mbps, audio bitrate should not exceed 512 kbps
- The TMEA Orchestra Division will select a committee of three of its members who specialize in mariachi to listen to the recordings.
- No directors who are applying for performance will be allowed to serve on the selection committee.
- This is a blind audition process. Only the Selection Committee Chairperson will know which schools have applied.
- All applicants and the invited ensemble will be notified by July 23 in conjunction with the Texas Orchestra Directors Association Summer Convention.
- TMEA will not provide any equipment for this performance other than chairs, stands, platform risers, and a grand piano.
- Online application process opens May 1.
- The online application for must be PRINTED and include the signature of the director.
- Print and sign the application then digitally upload the form to TMEA on the website application.
- Deadline to complete the application process including the signed application and single video file upload is 11:59 pm (CT), June 24, 2020.
For questions about the invited mariachi application process, contact the Orchestra Division Vice-President.