Below are the requirements and application for an invited high school mariachi ensemble to perform during the annual clinic/convention. Applications and recordings must be submitted online by 11:59 pm (CT), June 15. TMEA will not provide any equipment for this performance. You will contract directly with a TMEA provided sound company for sound reinforcement services.
- The directors must be Active members of TMEA.
- The director cannot be on the TMEA Executive Board.
- An invited mariachi ensemble and other mariachi ensembles from the same campus will not be eligible to apply for three years after their performance at the TMEA convention.
- Applications and recordings must be submitted online by 11:59 pm (CT), June 15.
Uploading the video recording will take time. Start the application process before 8 pm, June 15th.
- The printed application must include the signature of the director with the campus principal's permission stating that, if selected, the ensemble will participate.
- All recordings must be from live concerts recorded between the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year to March 15, 2020 and at least 15 minutes but no longer than 30 minutes of music and should contain examples of different mariachi types of mariachi ensemble music.
- The selections must be combined into a single video file for uploading.
- There should be nothing that identifies the school or its director on the video, in the audio, or on a title screen.
- If you choose to submit a concert recording, please advise the audience. Audience noise significantly impacts the quality of the recording and may invalidate your submission.
- Acceptable recording formats for upload:
- Must be MP4 (MPEG-4) container with video codec H.264 and audio codec ACC-LC.
- Video resolution should be no larger than 1080p HD (1920 x 1080 pixels).
- Video bitrate should not exceed 10 Mbps, audio bitrate should not exceed 512 kbps.
- The recordings must be of registered students only. No guest artists can appear on the submitted recording.
- Recordings will be deleted after the review process is complete.
- The TMEA Orchestra Division Chair will select a committee from around the state who specialize in mariachi to listen to the recordings.
- No directors who are applying for performance will be allowed to serve on the selection committee.
- This is a blind audition process. Only the TMEA Orchestra Division Chair will know which schools have applied.
- All applicants and the invited mariachi ensemble will be notified by July 22.
- Online application process opens March 1.
- The online application form must be printed and include the signature of the director.
- Print and sign the application then digitally upload the form to TMEA on the website application.
- Deadline to complete the application process including the signed application and audio uploads is 11:59 pm (CT), June 15, 2020.
For more information contact: TMEA State Orchestra Division Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org.