Below are the requirements and application for an invited high school and middle school jazz ensemble to perform during the annual clinic/convention. Applications and recordings must be submitted online by 11:59 pm (CT), June 15. TMEA will not provide any equipment for this performance. You will contract directly with a TMEA provided sound company for sound reinforcement services.
- The directors must be active members of both TMEA and TJEA.
- The director cannot be on the board of TMEA or TJEA.
- Invited jazz ensembles will not be eligible to apply for three years after their performance at the TMEA convention.
- Applications and recordings for high school and middle school must be submitted online by 11:59 pm (CT), June 15.
Uploading recordings will take time. Start the application process before 8 pm, June 15th.
- The printed application must include the signature of the director with permission from the campus principal stating that if selected, the ensemble will participate.
- The selected high school ensemble will agree to be a demonstration group (if needed) for a jazz clinic at the TMEA convention along with their performance.
- All recordings must be from live concerts recorded between the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year to March 15, 2020 and at least 15 minutes but no longer than 30 minutes of music and should contain examples of different jazz styles.
- Titles, composers, arrangers, length of tracks and dates of the performances will be submitted online.
- Up to 5 recorded tracks will be uploaded to TMEA through the online application process.
- Acceptable recording formats for upload:
- m4a (AAC-LC); Sample rate: 48000 Hz; Stereo; Bitrate: 256 kbps, constant
- mp3; Sample rate: 48000 Hz; Stereo; Bitrate: 256 kbps, constant
- WAV (Uncompressed); Sample rate: 44,100 Hz; Stereo; 16-Bit (required)
- The recordings must be of registered students only. No guest artists can appear on the submitted recording.
- There can be no speaking of any kind on the recording.
- The Texas Jazz Educators Association will select a committee of five of its members from around the state to listen to the recordings.
- No directors who are applying for performance will be allowed to serve on the selection committee.
- This is a blind audition process. Only the Selection Committee Chairperson will know which schools have applied.
- All applicants and invited jazz programs will be notified by July 22nd.
- Online application process for high school opens March 1.
- The online application form must be printed and include the signature of the director.
- Print and sign the application then digitally upload the form to TMEA on the website application.
- Deadline to complete the application process including the signed application and audio uploads is 11:59 pm (CT), June 15, 2020.
For more information contact: TJEA Executive Director - firstname.lastname@example.org
(Start a new entry or complete a previous application)