Below are the requirements and application for an invited high school jazz ensemble to perform during the annual clinic/convention.
Middle school jazz ensembles may apply October 1 - October 31 to perform in the TMEA Music Showcase.
Applications and recordings must be submitted online for high school by May 15; for middle school by October 31.
- The directors must be active members of both TMEA and TJEA.
- The director cannot be on the board of TMEA or TJEA.
- The performing ensemble must be a high school jazz ensemble for the Ballroom performance, middle school jazz ensemble for the Music Showcase performance.
- Invited jazz ensembles will not be eligible to apply for three years after their performance at the TMEA convention.
- Applications and recordings for high school must be submitted online by Midnight, May 15. Uploading recordings will take time. Start the application process before 9 pm, May 15th.
- Application and recordings for middle school must be submitted online by Midnight, October 31. Uploading recordings will take time. Start the application process before 9 pm, October 31st.
- The printed application must include the signature of the director as well as the principal of the school stating that if selected, the ensemble will participate.
- The selected high school ensemble will agree to be a demonstration group (if needed) for a jazz clinic at the TMEA convention along with their performance.
- All recordings must be from live concerts and at least 15 minutes but no longer than 30 minutes of music and should contain examples of different jazz styles.
- Titles, composers, arrangers, length of tracks and dates of the performances will be submitted online.
- Up to 5 recorded tracks will be uploaded to TMEA through the online application process.
- Acceptable recording formats for upload:
- m4a (AAC-LC); Sample rate: 48000 Hz; Stereo; Bitrate: 256 kbps, constant
- mp3; Sample rate: 48000 Hz; Stereo; Bitrate: 256 kbps, constant
- WAV (Uncompressed); Sample rate: 44,100 Hz; Stereo; 16-Bit (required)
- The recordings must be of registered students only. No guest artists can appear on the submitted recording.
- There can be no speaking of any kind on the recording.
- The high school recordings must be made in the same school year as the May 15th deadline.
- The middle school recordings must be made in the same fall semester as the October 31st deadline.
- Recordings will not be returned.
- The Texas Jazz Educators Association will select a committee of five of its members from all around the state to listen to the recordings.
- No directors who are applying for performance will be allowed to serve on the selection committee.
- This is a blind audition process. Only the Selection Committee Chairperson will know which schools have applied.
- All high school applicants and invited high school jazz programs will be notified by June 15th.
- All middle school applicants and invited middle school jazz programs will be notified by November 15th.
- Online application process for high school opens March 1.
- Online application process for middle school opens October 1.
- The online application form must be printed and include the signatures of the director and the principal of the school.
- The printed application form may be submitted digitally - firstname.lastname@example.org
or by mail - TMEA, Invited Jazz Application, PO Box 140465, Austin, TX 78714 (Postmarked - high school by May 15; middle school by October 31.)
- Deadline: High school - Midnight, May 15; Middle school - Midnight, October 31st
For more information contact: TJEA Executive Director - email@example.com
(Start a new entry or complete a previous application)