Proposal Period: May 1–June 1, 2021
The 2022 TMEA Clinic/Convention will feature approximately 300 clinics for current and future music educators and music showcases throughout the convention center. To present a clinic or music showcase, you must complete an online proposal by the June 1 deadline. The link to submit is below the following important information on proposing.
TMEA is committed to the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and access. We stand with all those we serve. We are committed to providing professional education that promotes these principles. All Music Showcases presentations must adhere to the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and access. All Music Showcase presentations must support TMEA's commitment to music education for all.
TMEA will host music showcase stages in the open areas of the convention center for small ensembles with a 30-minute maximum. These areas will include acoustic-only and amplification-allowed areas (TMEA does not provide the amplification).
Acoustic-Only: For showcase performances that are acoustic-only (no amplification of instruments or voices allowed). The venues include a small stage, music stands, and chairs (for performers). All instruments, including keyboards, must be provided by the performing group. There is no storage room, dressing room, or warm-up area provided. Each group has a 15-minute setup/warmup period preceding the performance time which may not exceed 30 minutes.
Amplified Stage: Venue allows amplified performance by medium-sized ensembles (10-24 members). The venue includes a medium-sized stage, music stands, and chairs (for performers and audience). All instruments, including keyboards and sound reinforcement, must be provided by the performing group. There is no storage room, dressing room, or warm-up area provided. Each group has a 15-minute setup/warmup period preceding the performance time which may not exceed 30 minutes.
Music Showcase Selection Factors
Important factors in the selection process of showcase sessions will be:
- Performance Quality. Each group must upload up to three recordings to TMEA by June 1, 2021.
- Compatibility with the performance venue.
- Variety of performing group genres.
- NOTE: Full size jazz ensemble/stage bands and all grade school level percussion and mariachi ensembles will not be considered for music showcase performances. Use the Invited Group processes to apply to perform in a formal ballroom setting.
- Priority consideration is provided to performers also serving as clinic demonstration groups and to Texas resident ensembles.
Membership/Convention Registration Requirements
If selected, clinicians, demonstration group directors, and music showcase group directors and musicians must comply with these requirements:
- Texas music educators/musicians must be current members of TMEA and pay convention registration fees.
- Out-of-state educators/musicians must:
- pay convention registration fees but, are not required to become TMEA members, or
- if industry sponsored must get their convention badge through their sponsoring exhibitor (not for Texas music educators/musicians).
All performers must comply with these requirements:
- College students and non-school performing groups must comply with the director registration requirements above.
Exception: Student performers also in a clinic demonstration group or invited performing group are provided complimentary badges.
- K–12 performers are provided complimentary badges.
Online membership and convention registration will be available in early May. Find more Membership and Registration Information here.
TMEA does not provide A/V equipment for this venue. Small amps for keyboards may be used and must be brought with you. Amplification of any other instruments is not allowed.
The venue includes a small stage and chairs for the audience. A limited number of music stands and chairs are provided for performers (no additional chairs or stands will be available from TMEA during the convention).
Music Showcase Conditions
All instruments, including keyboards, must be provided by the performing group. There is no storage room, dressing room, or warm-up area provided. Each group has a 15-minute setup/warmup period preceding the performance time which may not exceed 30 minutes.
Information Needed to Complete your Proposal
Do not start a proposal until you have all information available.
You will need:
- Performing group director's TMEA Member ID and contact information. For non-TMEA members, the director's name, school/company, phone, cell phone, and email.
- Performing group name and number of participants.
- Description of ensemble
- 1-3 audio files that represent your group's musical abilities, not to exceed 15 minutes.
Music Showcase Application Status
Notification of your proposal's status will take place by August 15. Directors/Applicants must verify their acceptance by September 1 by responding to the invitation email using the link provided and must comply with all requirements stated here and in the acceptance notification.
Scheduling information will become available online the first week in October. A link to this information will be provided via email.
The deadline for submitting music showcase applications for the 2022 TMEA Clinic/Convention was June 1, 2021. Please check back April 2022 to submit your showcase application for the 2023 TMEA Clinic/Convention.