Invited HS Percussion Ensemble
Below are the requirements and application for an invited high school percussion ensemble to perform during the annual clinic/convention. Applications and recordings must be submitted online by 11:59 pm (CDT), June 1. TMEA will not provide any percussion equipment for this performance.
Selected ensembles are included on the Convention Concert Ensembles page.
- The directors must be active members of TMEA.
- The director cannot be on the board of TMEA.
- An invited percussion ensemble will not be eligible to apply for three years after their last performance at the TMEA convention.
- Applications and recordings must be submitted online by 11:59 pm (CDT), June 1.
Note: Uploading recordings will take time. Start the application process before 9 pm (CDT), June 1.
- The printed application must include the signature of the director with the permission of the school principal.
- All recordings must be from live concerts and at least 15 minutes but no longer than 30 minutes of music and should contain examples of different percussion types of percussion ensemble music.
- All recordings must have been made during the 2023-24 school year.
- Titles, composers, arrangers, length of tracks and dates of the performances will be submitted online.
- Up to 5 recorded tracks will be uploaded to TMEA through the online application process.
- Acceptable recording formats for upload:
- m4a (AAC-LC); Sample rate: 48000 Hz; Stereo; Bitrate: 256 kbps, constant
- mp3; Sample rate: 48000 Hz; Stereo; Bitrate: 256 kbps, constant
- WAV (Uncompressed); Sample rate: 44,100 Hz; Stereo; 16-Bit (required)
- The TMEA Band Division will select a committee of three of its members from around the state who specialize in percussion to listen to the recordings.
- No directors who are applying for performance will be allowed to serve on the selection committee.
- This is a blind audition process. Only the Selection Committee Chairperson will know which schools have applied.
- The announcement of the selected program will be made on Thursday during the Texas Bandmasters Association Convention.
- The invited ensemble will agree to complete their concert within the 50 minute allotted time. This includes introductions, applause, and presentations. This includes the final concert of any day.
- The total time of the repertoire must not exceed 40 minutes.
- Repertoire must be approved by the Band Division Vice-President and must be submitted by October 10 via the TMEA website.
- The invited ensemble will be scheduled by the Band Division Vice-President in consultation with the TMEA Executive Board.
- The performance must be only percussion ensemble genre and only include student members of the top Varsity ensemble.
- Any adult performers must be approved by the TMEA Band Division Vice-President.
- If the performance is scheduled in the Lila Cockrell Theatre, TMEA will provide a grand piano, chairs, music stands, conductor podium and music stand, and if required, up to 4 - 8" tall 4'x 8' platforms, 4 - 16" tall 4' x 8' platforms, and 4 - 24" tall 4' x 8' platforms.
- If the performance is scheduled in a ballroom, TMEA will provide a grand piano, chairs, music stands, conductor podium and music stand, and if required, up to 2 - 8" tall 4'x 8' platforms, 2- 16" tall 4' x 8' platforms.
- For either performance location, all other instruments and equipment must be provided by the ensemble and must fit in a one box truck. Only one truck is permitted.
- TMEA prohibits any organization from soliciting exhibitors for use of instruments or equipment before or during the convention.
- Online application process for high school opens April 1. Application button will appear below.
- The online application form must be printed and include the signature of the director.
- Print and sign the application then digitally upload the form to TMEA on the website application.
- Deadline to complete the application process including the signed application and audio file uploads is 11:59 pm (CDT), June 1.
For questions about the invited percussion ensemble application process, contact the Band Division Vice-President.The Band Division Invited Percussion Ensemble online application process opens on April 1.