Schools without Parent Organization
Students Who Attend Schools That Do Not Have Parent Organizations and TMEA Auditions
Membership in Parent Organization: A student must be certified by his TMEA Active Member director as a participating member of the school’s parent musical organization during the semester in which the TMEA activity is held. If there is no parent musical group in the school, the student must be certified by a TMEA member sponsor. This sponsor must hold an Active Membership in TMEA and must have been designated as a sponsor by the chief administrator of the school the student attends.
Sponsor: Each student’s TMEA Active member director or member sponsor must be in attendance at all TMEA auditions and any other TMEA activities in which the student is involved. Each Region shall define written guidelines determining the use of proxies.
Who may be the member/sponsor?
- A parent of a private school student who is an Active TMEA Member (if there is no parent organization in the school: band, choir, orchestra, mariachi)
- A private lesson teacher who is an Active TMEA Member
- A director of a community music group who is an Active TMEA Member
What are the responsibilities of the TMEA Active Member/Sponsor?
- Attend Region Meetings
- Enter the student into the contest via the TMEA website
- Be familiar with TMEA Region and State contest rules and dates
- Be present and prepared to serve at all auditions when the private school student is involved. Some Regions will require the member/sponsor to provide a competent judge if the member/sponsor is not qualified to serve on a judging panel
- Be present as a chaperon for Region Concert/Clinic (and beyond if the HS student advances)
- Be present as chaperon in San Antonio if HS student is selected for All-State
Information about TMEA Region Alignment
- TMEA is divided into 33 Regions and 15 Small School Choir Regions
- To determine your Region. Complete a school district search on the TMEA website to find the Region Search for the Region
When are the TMEA Region Meetings?
- There are two Region Meetings per year, one typically before school starts in the fall and another in the spring.
- Region meeting schedule
- Join TMEA
- The TMEA Membership year is from July 1 through June 30 of the following year.
- You must be an Active member to access high school Area/All-State band and orchestra audition excerpts posted on the TMEA website as well as enter students into contests.
- Entry Instructions
- The Name of the campus should be the name of the private school
- The private school sponsor will be responsible for all campus and individual student fees associated with the contest
- Each Region is semi-autonomous and may select different audition material
- Attend your Region Meetings for information regarding audition material
- You must be an Active member to access high school Area/All-State band and orchestra audition excerpts posted on the TMEA website