A proactive mentoring network for TMEA members.
TMEA links successful music education professionals (mentors) with new Texas music educators (protégés) and offers a proactive program of one-on-one mentoring to each new music teacher for a minimum of one year.
- Be available to serve as the organizational resource for the good of all current TMEA mentoring programs in a pro-bono capacity.
- Personally contact new teachers identified by TMEA, UIL, and school districts during Fall Region meetings to offer guidance in planning and facilitating their first year(s).
- Recognize and solicit new members that are successful, experienced and willing music education professionals wanting to serve as advisors.
- Observe classes and provide feedback on a regular basis to the new teacher (protégé) on teaching practices for teachers as requested.
- Be a champion and member of TMEA.
With Mentoring, New Music Teachers:
- Can focus on Professional Development.
- Are more apt to remain active music educators through successful induction.
- Experience reduced stress through collaboration with other music educators.
- Benefit from the highly valued expertise and modeling of veteran teachers.
Without Mentoring, New Music Teachers:
- Focus on Day-to-Day survival
- Leave the profession at a rate of 50% in the first 5 years.
- Experience increased stress due to subject-sensitive isolationism.
- Are unable to take advantage of veteran teachers' knowledge base.
Would You Like to BE A Mentor?
- Would you like to take a personal interest in welcoming newcomers?
- Would you like to nurture a person of talent and ability?
- Would you like to share your knowledge and experience with others?
- Would you like to broaden your own perspectives and gain new levels of expertise?
Would You Like to HAVE A Mentor?
- Are you new to the profession?
- Are you new to your region?
- Are you new to music education in Texas?
- Are you looking for new levels of expertise?
If you answered YES to any of the above, join the Mentoring Network by completing the online enrollment form.
(Available to TMEA Active Members only.)
Enroll in Mentoring Network
Area Coordinator Login
State Manager Login
Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 October 2013 12:11