The TMEA Executive Board based its decision to cancel the 2020–2021 Honor Band competitions on the best interest of students, programs, and members and to support fairness and equity in the process. The Board recognizes the value and importance of performances by our middle school, junior high, and high school ensembles at our annual convention. To support that, the Band Division is offering this Invited Band process.
Invited Band Process
The following process is not a substitute Honor Band competition. It is created to allow the wonderful and innovative teaching that Texas bands are known for to be celebrated at our convention. For one year, the Band Division will invite bands to apply to perform during the 2021 Clinic/Convention.
What Is an Invited Band?
Unlike the multi-level, adjudicated Honor Band process, this invitation method allows the Band Division greater flexibility to select a group of ensembles representing what bands in Texas offer our students and communities.
Any band from any level and classification is welcome to apply. We hope directors of high-quality programs who typically don’t enter the Honor Band competition will take advantage of this opportunity. The Band Division seeks to invite high-quality ensembles that represent the variety of school environments and socioeconomic makeup of programs across our state.
Understand that this one-step application will yield many applications, yet the number of Band Division performance opportunities during the 2021 Clinic/Convention will not necessarily increase.
What Is It Not?
- This is not an adjudicated competition to identify the best bands in Texas (a band that might typically win State Honor Band might not be invited to perform).
- Bands will not be selected to represent each classification or a specific set of classifications.
- This process is not subject to the TMEA Appeals process. Invitation decisions are final.
- The directors must be active members of TMEA.
- The ensemble must represent a school located in the State of Texas.
- The primary director must have taught the ensemble for a minimum of two years (18-19 and 19-20 school years). A band director who submits a recording and application but accepts a new position at a different school must immediately notify the State Band Chair of this change as soon as the change is made. The application will not be considered.
- A campus will NOT be eligible to apply if they performed as an Honor Band at the 2020 TMEA convention. (revised 4/13)
- A selected band will be able to enter their respective Honor Band contest for performance at the 2022 annual clinic/convention.
- All recordings must be from live concerts from the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year to March 15, 2020.
- An unedited audio recording
- The entire submission should not exceed 30 minutes of music total.
- Will include only 2 selections:
- One Concert March
- One Symphonic Selection
- Reminder: the director of submitted recording must be the “director of record” of that ensemble for the past 2 years.
- Completed Application/Program Resume. The application/resume must include the signature of the head director with the campus principal's permission.
- Applications and recordings must be submitted online by 11:59 pm (CT) on June 15.
- The following school levels are eligible regardless of classification:
- High School
- Middle/Junior High School
- Recording may not be digitally enhanced in any manner.
- No voice identification should appear on the recording.
- Two selections will be submitted; one march and one symphonic selection.
- Each selection submitted must be a continuous live performance that was recorded at a concert, festival, or contest.
- All movements submitted of a multi-movement work must be sourced from a single, continuous performance, and performed in the order of the printed score.
- The complete uploaded recorded program must not exceed 30 minutes of music.
- Any engineering, editing, or tampering in any way with the recording after the performance is not allowed.
Note: The only allowable technical alteration to a recording is adjustment of master volume.
- The following are allowable edits of recorded submissions:
- Submitted recordings may be edited to eliminate excess time between movements of a multi-movement work.
- Submitted recordings may be edited to eliminate audience applause.
- Submitted recordings may be edited to combine multiple tracks of a multi-movement work into a single audio file for online submission.
- Movements must be combined in the same order the movements were performed.
- Combined movements must be from the same recording.
- Submitted recordings may be edited to match volume from track to track.
- Submitted recordings should be edited to remove voice identification.
- The following are allowable edits of recorded submissions:
- All selections must be recorded and submitted in a digital format. Acceptable recording formats for upload:
- m4a (AAC-LC); Sample rate: 48000 Hz; Stereo; Bitrate: 256 kbps, constant
- mp3; Sample rate: 48000 Hz; Stereo; Bitrate: 256 kbps, constant
- WAV (Uncompressed); Sample rate: 44,100 Hz; Stereo; 16-Bit (required)
- The TMEA Band Division Chair will select a committee from around the state to listen to the recordings.
- Because this in not a competition, no written comments, rubrics or point totals will be provided to the entrants. (revised 4/13)
- No directors who are applying for the invitation will serve on the selection committee.
- This is a blind audition process. Only the TMEA Band Division Chair will know which schools have applied.
- The State Band Chair will take the committee’s suggestions into consideration prior to making the final decision, and will be the final authority in the selection process to assure balance in the overall program at the convention.
- All applicants and the invited ensembles will be notified by July 22, 2020 in conjunction with the Texas Bandmasters Association Annual Convention.
- TMEA will not provide any equipment for this performance other than chairs, stands, platform risers, and a grand piano.
- Online application process opens April 6.
- The online application form must be printed and include the signature of the director.
- Print and sign the application then digitally upload the form to TMEA on the website application.
- Deadline to complete the application process including the signed application and audio uploads is 11:59 pm (CT), June 15, 2020.
(Start a new entry or complete a previous application)