2018 Convention: February 14-17 in San Antonio, Texas
Deadline for submitting proposals: June 1, 2017
TMEA hosts showcase stages in the open areas of the convention center. These are acoustic musical performances by small ensembles with a 30-minute maximum.
Individuals and small groups may submit applications to perform in the music showcase venues. All music showcase performances must be acoustic in nature (small amps for keyboards may be used). Amplification of any other instruments is not allowed. The venue includes a small stage, music stands, an easel for signage you provide, and chairs (for performers and audience). All instruments, including keyboards, must be provided by the performing group. There is no storage room, dressing room, or warm-up area provided. Each group has a 15-minute setup/warmup period preceding the performance time which may not exceed 30 minutes.
Music Showcase Selection Factors
Important factors in the selection process of showcase sessions will be:
- Performance Quality. Each group must submit a recording to TMEA by June 1, 2017.
- Compatibility with the performance venue.
- Variety of performing group genres.
- Priority consideration is provided to performers also serving as clinic demonstration groups.
Membership/Convention Registration Requirements
All directors must comply with these requirements:
- Texas music educators/musicians must be current members of TMEA and must pay convention registration fees.
- Out-of-state directors must pay convention registration fees, but are not required to become TMEA members.
- Industry-sponsored directors who are non-Texas music educators or non-educators must get their convention badge through their sponsoring exhibitor.
All performers must comply with these requirements:
- College students and non-school performing groups must comply with the director registration requirements above.
Exception: Student performers also in a clinic demonstration group or invited performing group are provided complimentary badges.
- K–12 performers are provided complimentary badges.
Online membership and convention registration will be available in early May. Find more Membership and Registration Information here.
TMEA does not provide A/V equipment for this venue. Small amps for keyboards may be used and must be brought with you. Amplification of any other instruments is not allowed.
The venue includes a small stage and chairs for the audience. A limited number of music stands and chairs are provided for performers (no additional chairs or stands will be available from TMEA during the convention), as well as an easel for signage you can bring.
Music Showcase Conditions
All instruments, including keyboards, must be provided by the performing group. There is no storage room, dressing room, or warm-up area provided. Each group has a 15-minute setup/warmup period preceding the performance time which may not exceed 30 minutes.
Information Needed to Complete your Proposal
Do not start a proposal until you have all information available.
You will need:
- Performing group director's TMEA Member ID and contact information. For non-TMEA members, the director's name, school/company, phone, cell phone, and email.
- Performing group name and number of participants.
- Description of ensemble
- Schedule request, and other miscellaneous information.
Music Showcase Application Status
Notification of your proposal's status will take place by August 15. Directors/Applicants must verify their acceptance by September 1 by responding to the invitation email using the link provided and must comply with all requirements stated here and in the acceptance notification.
Scheduling information will become available online the first week in October. A link to this information will be provided via email.
Deadline for submitting applications is June 1, 2017.
There are five pages to the Music Showcase Application. You must complete them all at once and will not have an opportunity to edit pages later. You will check the "I Agree" checkboxes on the "Terms" page and click the submit button for your application to be properly submitted.
Application Submission Form
If you have comments/questions/issues with the technical portion
of the submission process, please email Frank Coachman.